[ntp:questions] nptq -p slowness

Serge Bets serge.bets at NOSPAM.laposte.invalid
Wed Jan 31 23:34:10 UTC 2007

Hi Ronan,

 On Monday, January 29, 2007 at 18:28:59 +0000, Ronan Flood wrote:

> the refid string is passed to decodenetnum() to check if it is a valid
> IP address, which in turn calls getaddrinfo() with hints flag
> AI_NUMERICHOST.

It seems you are right on the track: My system has no getaddrinfo(). So
ntpq 4.2.4 uses its own bundled replacement from libntp/ntp_rfc2553.c,
which doesn't seem to make use of AI_NUMERICHOST. I don't understand
enough those subtilities to be able to confirm it for sure, but this
hypothesis seems to be the favorite by far. Thanks Ronan!

Serge.