[ntp:questions] Is 24PPM an Excessive Real-Time Clock Correction?

Spoon root at localhost.invalid
Thu Jul 12 13:13:23 UTC 2007

Per Hedeland wrote:

> Spoon wrote:
>
>> The HPET is supposed to replace all the other clocks I mentioned.
>>
>> Some manufacturers do choose high-quality components when they implement
>> the HPET.
>>
>> Intel south bridges have included an HPET for some time now. Perhaps
>> other manufacturers will follow their lead?
>>
>> We agree that the situation right now is pathetic. I was saying that
>> maybe, just maybe, there is hope on the horizon?
>
> Well, the HPET, as specified by Intel and as far as I understand, is
> still just another set of timers/counters, isn't it?

I'm afraid you're probably right.

I thought a separate oscillator would be required when I read:

"Main Counter Tick Period: This read-only field indicates the period at
which the counter increments in femptoseconds (10^-15 seconds). A value
of 0 in this field is not permitted. The value in this field must be
less than or equal to 05F5E100h (10^8 femptoseconds = 100 nanoseconds).
The resolution must be in femptoseconds (rather than picoseconds) in
order to achieve a resolution of 50 ppm."

Wishful thinking?