[ntp:questions] A Suggestion For Abolishing the Leap Second

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.isc.org
Fri Jun 8 03:34:31 UTC 2007

On 2007-06-07, Per Hedeland <per at hedeland.org> wrote:

> Quadibloc <jsavard at ecn.ab.ca> writes:
>
>>I don't know why it isn't part of your reply, or why you didn't see
>>it.
>
> Probably brokenness in the news->mail gateway (Danny uses the mailing
> list).

The gateway does what it was designed to do.

In this case we've encountered something that was not accounted for in
the software design.

> You seem to frequently have a lone dot as the first line of
> your text in followups - nothing wrong with that, but maybe not much
> value either...

A lone '.' on a line is the SMTP end of message marker. It has to be
escaped (by doubling it up) if it is to be ignored.

If my signature is attached to this article we are now escaping the lone
dot correctly.