[ntp:questions] ntp performance

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200706 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 13:58:33 UTC 2007

christian.pinedo.zamalloa at gmail.com writes:
> My question is if a high CPU usage could produce a variation of the
> offset in a FreeBSD machine. Did anybody have this trouble?

One of the first things I tend to do when setting up a machine is slap
a "nice -20" in front of any non-interactive, long-running programs in
the startup files.  Good candidates are cron, sendmail/postfix,
thttpd/httpd, innd etc.  The same thing is done for make(1) via an
alias.  My feeling is that there is no good reason why these programs
should get first dibs on CPU cycles.  They will still get all the
cycles they want, but they might be delayed a few milliseconds to get
them.  Maybe this trick will help you?  I never noticed it if helped
ntpd, but it sure helped interactive typing response many years back
when I started doing this.  (Although the CPU's were 100x slower then,
so the effect was much more noticeable.)

-wolfgang
IPv6 on Fedora 7 http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/fedora/ipv6-tunnel.html