[ntp:questions] What is the best program for Windows XP?

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Sat Jun 23 14:54:39 UTC 2007

me at privacy.net wrote:

> I want to synchonize my PC clock to pool.ntp.org under Windows XP.
> I don't need extreme accuracy; within a tenth of a second is plenty
> good enough.  If possible, I would like the software to calculate
> the fixed drift of my PC clock and do periodic updates without
> putting any un-necessary burden on pool.ntp.org.  Most of all, I
> want the software to be reliable.  Suggestions?

The best free binary is available through Meinberg which includes an
installer. They are just about to release a new version which got held
up by a small bug in the NTP source code. I expect that they will be
able to make the new version available next week now that the bug has
been fixed.

The binary will place almost no burden on the pool. You are querying the
pool no more often that every 64 seconds early on and every 1024 seconds
when it's settled down.

See http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm for Meinberg's download
pages but I'd suggest you wait a few days before you download it so they
can get the new version in place.

Danny