[ntp:questions] NTP Sync Problem

Ron C. nospam at nospam.com
Mon Mar 5 00:55:51 UTC 2007

I'm using Netopia routers on Covad (model 4622 on T1 and 4652 on DSL).  They have built-in NTP clock syncronization with two pre-programmed servers. Although the routers work fine, I have never been able to get the sync function working. Left to themselves, they each gain 8 minutes per day so it would be nice to be able to use the sync feature.  I know that UDP port 123 should be open in both directions and as a test I turned off the firewall completely.  The device event log gives this error message "NTP: cannot SEND packet to server <ip address>" every 3 minutes, alternating between the primary and secondary NTP servers. Besides the two pre-set servers (204.152.184.72 and 18.72.0.3) I've tried several public servers from the NIST list.  BTW, I have no problem syncing computers on the same local network using a Windows-based NIST time client.  Only the router itself won't sync and gives that error message.