[ntp:questions] Doubt about Syncronization of GPS SPECTRACOM(2)

Ronan Flood usenet at umbral.org.uk
Mon Mar 5 12:37:55 UTC 2007

On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 18:54:12 GMT, Rick Jones <rick.jones2 at hp.com> wrote:

> > I think ntpdate 4.2.0 just uses the first returned address, and now
> > that Marcos has said he's running Solaris I've remembered that
> > ntpdate 4.2.0 on Solaris doesn't work with IPv6 anyway because
> > Solaris changes the IPv6 socket structure in a way which ntpdate
> > doesn't expect
>
> >   http://lists.ntp.isc.org/pipermail/questions/2005-March/004535.html
>
> I wonder if that is still the case in "5.10" Anyway, does ntpdate set

It is.

> the AI_ADDRCONFIG flag?  If not, doing so should prevent it from
> getting IPv6 answers when there is no IPv6 address configured on the
> system running ntpdate.
>
> Whether ntpdate should be enhanced to walk the list I guess would be
> an open question.

ntpdate has been updated since 4.2.0, and now walks the list of returned
addresses.  It doesn't use AI_ADDRCONFIG but does call isc_net_probeipv6()
to see if IPv6 is available, which might amount to the same thing.

Also the method used to compare IPv6 addresses in findserver() has been
changed, which fixes the problem mentioned above.

--
Ronan Flood <usenet at umbral.org.uk>