[ntp:questions] NTP Sync Problem

Ron C. nospam at nospam.com
Tue Mar 6 10:19:53 UTC 2007

"Ryan Malayter" <malayter at gmail.com> wrote in message news:1173108501.797067.269830 at 30g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

> Well, those two hosts are clock.isc.org and bitsy.mit.edu. Assuming
> Covad did not get permission to use those time servers, it could very
> well be that MIT and ISC are blocking UDP port 123 requests from
> Cogent's networks in retaliation. Can you try to use an NTP-specific
> diagnostic from the same Covad connection, rather than just ping? If
> you have a windows machine, it would be something like:
>    w32tm  /monitor /computers:204.152.184.72,18.72.0.3
> If that works, then the problem is definitely in the device and not in
> the network somewhere.
>
> Regards,
>   Ryan

I went to ntp.isc.org web site and verified that clock.isc.org is a stratum 1 server with open access and no notification required.  (An open access time server may be used without restrictions by any client in any location.)  Unfortunately, I can't run w32tm since I'm currently running Windows 98.  It does have a program called "net time" which appears to recognize only Windows computers on the local network. (The syntax allows you to specify either a Windows computer on your workgroup or on another workgroup.)  Guess I'll have to call Covad or Netopia tech support after all.  Thanks for your help, I've learned a lot.