[ntp:questions] Authentication

Richard B. gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Sun Mar 18 13:59:17 UTC 2007

Riccardo Castellani wrote:
> Do you enable authentication level on NTP server ?
> I have one NTP server (A) which is on both internal and external network, and another 2 NTP server (B, C) in internal netowrk.
> A is used to retrieve time information from Internet while B,C retrieve time from A and distributing it to clients.
> Where should I install authentication phase ?

The first question to ask yourself is: what problem are you trying to solve?

All that authentication does for you is to provide some assurance that
you are really dealing with the server you think you are instead of a
bogus server set up by a hacker to cause mischief!

Many sites run without authentication.  Others need to be able to prove
that their time stamps are traceable to NIST or some comparable national
standards agency in another country.  Such sites need authentication.