[ntp:questions] ntp client software slow

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.isc.org
Mon Mar 19 05:43:30 UTC 2007

>>> In article <1174280447.034902.274820 at l77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>, "vrkid0 at gmail.com" <vrkid0 at gmail.com> writes:

vrkid0> Hi I've installed ntp 4.2.4p0 on an OpenBSD 4.0 box and I'm having
vrkid0> some problems:
vrkid0> 1. If I run the ntpd binary it, sometimes, doesn't
vrkid0> start and doesn't report about problems. When I run it with -d it
vrkid0> always works. If I run it with ktrace (strace equivalence) it always
vrkid0> works.

What exactly do you mean by "doesn't start"?

Just to ask, what does your ntp.conf file look like?

vrkid0>  2. running ntp client commands (I tried ntpq and ntpdc),
vrkid0> regardless of switches, takes a very long time (about 5
vrkid0> minutes). Even if ntpd isn't or if I run it with -n (ntpq) switch.
vrkid0> There aren't any resolution problems on the computer in question.
vrkid0> Anyone know why this is happening?

I suspect a DNS problem on your machine.

Assuming your machine gets low enough traffic, I have found that when I
start ntpd with debugging I can watch the ntpq or ntpdc packets arrive and
the responses get sent back.