[ntp:questions] Orphan Mode Configuration Questions (Was: Re: Synchronize clocks without a reference clock)

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.isc.org
Fri Mar 23 02:13:54 UTC 2007

On 2007-03-22, Per Hedeland <per at hedeland.org> wrote:

> Steve Kostecke wrote:
>
>>Here's the configuration you need:
>>
>>> [1.] participants are identically configured both as broadcast
>>> client and as broadcast server.
>
> So the part that says "operates in subnet configurations in all modes"
>is wrong? Do you know this for a fact and/or have tried it?

There have been quite a few comments, assertions, and outright
speculation, about orphan mode in this newsgroup from individuals who
readily admit to _never_ having used it.

I _have_ tested orphan mode with in both broadcast and multicast modes.
See the "Orphan Mode Configuration" thread for a minimal working
ntp.conf file.

The ntpd at my posting address (check the headers) is a multicast orphan
node. Go ahead and query w/ ntpq/ntpdc if you wish.

> I would imagine at least that if all the participating servers have
> each other configured as "peer", there shouldn't "technically" be a
> need for a broadcast setup.

It is entirely possible that orphan mode is compatible with "meshed
peers". Why don't _YOU_ test that mode for us?

BTW: One big advantage to using broadcast mode is that you have a
simple configuration that does not have to be globally updated when the
orphanage population changes.