[ntp:questions] Embedded Linux NTP system -500 drift

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Sun Mar 25 17:29:15 UTC 2007

Cliff wrote:
> I'm using a Linux based firewall with a built-in NTP server AND
> client. My conf file is basic (settings are restricted by the GUI on
> the device):
>
> FILE:/etc/config/ntp.conf MODE:644 ID:0,0
> server 192.43.244.18
> server 64.236.96.53
> server 129.6.15.29
> server 129.6.15.28

Append iburst to the end of each of these server lines for faster startup.

> driftfile /etc/config/ntp.drift
> pidfile /var/run/ntpd.pid
>
> I have clients successfully connect to this firewall and sync their
> time... but the device itself (for the past few weeks) has -500 in the
> ntp.drift file. I've tried deleting the ntp.drift file and it gets
> recreated but always ends up at -500. Could the firewall have a bad
> clock chip, does that question even make sense :-)

Are you restarting ntpd after you delete the file? Yes you could have a
bad clock chip too? What does ntpq -p tell you? Is it receiving packets
from the servers? Is the firewall set up to receive the packets from the
servers? 123/UDP needs to be open on the Internet side.

Danny