[ntp:questions] NTP client: Sudden time steps on Linux machines

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.isc.org
Wed May 2 19:16:01 UTC 2007

>>> In article <epfmg4-bg6.ln1 at gateway.py.meinberg.de>, Heiko Gerstung <heiko_removeme_.gerstung at meinberg.de> writes:

Heiko> Hi Folks, I have a problem on a NTP client, it seems to face sudden
Heiko> timesteps and I currently do not have any good explanation for this.

Heiko> (NTP Version is ntpd 4.1.2 at 1.892)

Heiko> This happens on a few machines running in a classified network and I
Heiko> am not sure if it will be possible to update the NTP on these
Heiko> machines. I just wanted to know if one of you ever came across such a
Heiko> behavior or what good (or not so good) reasons could cause this.

What OS?  What does 'ntpq -p' look like?  Can they run something like munin
to graph some of the ntp variables?