[ntp:questions] stepping and slewing

Riccardo Castellani castellani.riccardo at tiscali.it
Thu May 3 23:14:52 UTC 2007

Look at carefully Steve Kostecke's message where he said:
step == reset the clock to the correct time in _one_ instantaneous step.
A stepped clock can "move backwards".

slew == adjust the clock by speeding it up or slowing it down. A slewed
clock never "moves backwards"

you can see slewed clock never moves backward, it can decelerate or
accelerate clock by 0.5 ms/sec, but not set time backward of several minutes
!