[ntp:questions] monitoring client requests

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Fri May 4 17:39:17 UTC 2007

>1 - Can I monitor client time requests to know if a client asked or
>it's asking time information to my ntp server and if server answered
>correctly to client ?
>2 - Does it exist ntp tools to permit this monitoring ?

Try ntpdc -c monlist
(ntpdc is uaually included in ntp distributions.)

ntpd only keeps track of the last N clients/hosts that contact it.
N is several hundred.

What do you mean by "correctly"?  ntpd will return the best
time that it has.  That could be wrong.  ntpd has mechanisms
to discourage too much traffic from a single IP Address.  I
don't know if/how they show up in monlist.