[ntp:questions] monitoring client requests

Dennis Hilberg Jr dont at spam.me
Sat May 5 05:55:49 UTC 2007

castellani.riccardo at tiscali.it wrote:

> 1 - Can I monitor client time requests to know if a client asked or
> it's asking time information to my ntp server and if server answered
> correctly to client ?
> 2 - Does it exist ntp tools to permit this monitoring ?

'ntpdc -c monlist', but it is limited to 600 clients I think.  If your ntp
server is a pool server, then you most likely exceed that count, which makes
'ntpdc -c monlist' not very useful.

You can also run Wayne Schlitt's scipts to analyze ntp traffic:
<http://www.schlitt.net/scripts/ntp/index.html>.  ntp_clients creates a dump
file about clients querying your server, and then in turn is used by
ntp_clients_stats to generate statistics about those clients.  I run my
ntp_clients_stats every five minutes.  Here is the ntp_clients_stats output
for my ntp server:
<http://saturn.dennishilberg.com/ntpstats/ntp_clients_stats.html>

Hope that helps,
--
Dennis Hilberg Jr <timekeeper(at)dennishilberg(dot)com>

NTP Server Information <http://saturn.dennishilberg.com/ntp.html>