[ntp:questions] ntpd won't sync

David Durrleman 0nrh2b802 at sneakemail.com
Tue May 8 12:30:16 UTC 2007

On 08 May 2007 11:45:24 GMT, Steve Kostecke kostecke-at-ntp.isc.org wrote:
> On 2007-05-08, David Durrleman <0nrh2b802 at sneakemail.com> wrote:
> > I am behind a NAT, but I don't have a firewall.
>
> You may not have a local firewall, but your ISP may have one between you
> and the world.

I don't think so, however I'm not definitely 100% sure that the port 123 is not blocked. How can I check that ?

> > My ntp.conf looks like this:
> >
> > server 0.fr.pool.ntp.org
> > server 1.fr.pool.ntp.org
> > server 2.fr.pool.ntp.org
> > driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift
> > logfile /var/log/ntp.log
>
> Please check your ntp.conf very carefully for restrict statements. A
> common cause of the problem that you are reporting is a 'restrict
> default ignore' line that is included in the default ntp.conf file
> shipped with some OSes.

Yes, I know about that, but these are the only lines in my ntp.conf, except for the comments (i did a grep -v "^#" /etc/ntp.conf)

> There are a few things that you can do to make your configuration
> better, although none of them will have any effect on the problem that
> you are reporting.
>
> 1. Append 'iburst' to your server lines. This will speed up initial sync
> from ~5 minutes to ~20 seconds.
>
> 2. Add another server line for more redundancy.

Ok, done, thanks.

> > The output of ntpq -p -rv is:
> >
> > state=1, frequency=-1.348
>
> Did you take this statistics snapshot shortly after starting ntpd?

No, this was after ten minutes or so ...

> >      remote      refid  st t when poll reach delay offset jitter
> >=================================================================
> >  roxane.home-dn. .INIT. 16 u    -   64    0  0.000  0.000  0.000
> >  rtr-002.dsi13.n .INIT. 16 u    -   64    0  0.000  0.000  0.000
> >  chihiro.bleu-pa .INIT. 16 u    -   64    0  0.000  0.000  0.000
>
> Your peer status billboard is showing that ntpd has not received any
> replies from those remote time servers. If captured this billboard
> immediately after ntpd was started (i.e. within the first 64 seconds)
> this may be normal. But if captured this billboard after ntpd has been
> running for a few minutes then something is blocking port 123/UDP.
>
> > What could be wrong with this setup ?
>
> Are you using PPPoE ?

No.

--