[ntp:questions] Time sync on a windows domain

W. D. WD at US-Webmasters.com
Thu May 24 15:48:42 UTC 2007

At 09:04 5/24/2007, clarkec8 at hotmail.com, wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm investigating different methods of keeping a network in time.  We
>currently have a network with 6000 XP clients, 200 2003 servers and
>about 20 Solaris/Unix servers.
>
>We currently use ntpdate on the unix servers and w32time on the
>windows server with the PDC going to the internet for time via NTP.
>
>Our current time difference accross the network is about 2 seconds.
>This seems a lot to me.  We've also go some 2003 servers that swing
>around all over (around 4 mins).  These are pre SP1 though and I
>believe there were some fixes in SP1.
>
>I would like to get a GPS NTP device and sync to that and I'd like
>some advice.
>
>1. If I use the PDC to point to the NTP device and use the domain
>heirarchy what sort of accuracy can I expect?
>
>2. If I still use w32time but set it to NTP and point all clients at
>the clock device what accuracy could I expect?
>
>3. Should I use something else entirely and ignore w32time?
>
>I know I'm asking on an NTP forum and if I asked on a windows one I
>may get different advice but I'm trying to get a spread of opinion.
>I've searched everywhere for accuracy on w32time but Microsoft don't
>seem too keen on giving out such knowledge.
>
>Thanks
>
>Chris

How about:

1.  Install NTP on a dedicated FreeBSD box (with or without GPS)
    http://www.us-webmasters.com/FreeBSD/Install/NTP/

2.  Set the NTP box to broadcast to the network

3.  Put Tardis or K9 on the Windows boxes
    http://www.kaska.demon.co.uk/tardis.htm
    http://www.kaska.demon.co.uk/k9.htm

Start Here to Find It Fast!™ -> http://www.US-Webmasters.com/best-start-page/
$8.77 Domain Names -> http://domains.us-webmasters.com/