[ntp:questions] Time sync on a windows domain

Ryan Malayter malayter at gmail.com
Sun May 27 17:06:45 UTC 2007

On May 27, 2:36 am, "David J Taylor" <david-tay... at blueyonder.not-this-
bit.nor-this-part.co.uk> wrote:

> Ryan,
>
> Running NTP on my Windows systems I don't see 32ms swings:
>
>  http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/mrtg/daily_ntp.html

I should have qualified my statements a bit more... I meant using the
Windows Time Service, the clock reports time within about +/- 16 ms
offset. However, because of the limited resolution of Windows Time
Service (2**-6 seconds), there is a lot of quantization noise, and it
looks like "steps" within that 32 ms window (see my graph).

When running the Windows versions of the full ntpd, obviously the
results are much better. Precision is reported as 2**-20, IIRC, and no
"steps" (quantization noise) are seen.

But the 16 ms resolution offered by w32time is good enough for many
applications, and reducing complexity by not having another software
package to deploy and maintain is often desirable.