[ntp:questions] Time sync on a windows domain

Ryan Malayter malayter at gmail.com
Mon May 28 22:13:55 UTC 2007

On May 28, 1:29 am, "David J Taylor" <david-tay... at blueyonder.not-this-
bit.nor-this-part.co.uk> wrote:
> What is the URL for your graph?

It was linked via the first URL I posted; here is a driect link:
http://www.malayter.com/Win2003NTPperformance.gif

> If you can automate the software deployment it may not be too bad.

Yes, but considering Windows Time Service can be controlled with no
scripting at all (via group policy), and is already installed, widely
depolying the real NTP on Windows machines can be a tough sell unless
the extra precision is required. I know, because I have had "deploy
real NTP to Windows machines" on my own potential project list for
several years. But I have never been able to justify the added
complexity of ntpd on 250+ Windows servers and workstations to myself.
Testing ntpd on such a diverse hardware and software base isn't
trivial. w32time works well enough for most of our needs, is already
installed, and can be easily configured from a central location
without scripting.