[ntp:questions] Server and Client can't sync

Aggie c.kevin.lam at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 00:57:23 UTC 2007

Brian:
Yes, ntpd wasn't run until after the clock change.

David:
I'm using ntp-dev-4.2.5p83.tar.gz

David:
I'm using option -g, so i can step more than 1000s.

Dear all,
I modified the ntp_io.c and undefine HAVE_TIMESTAMP and
USE_TIMESTAMP_CMSG by adding #if 0, like the following:

/*#if defined(SO_TIMESTAMP) && defined(SCM_TIMESTAMP) */
#if 0
#if defined(CMSG_FIRSTHDR)
#define HAVE_TIMESTAMP
#define USE_TIMESTAMP_CMSG
#ifndef TIMESTAMP_CTLMSGBUF_SIZE
#define TIMESTAMP_CTLMSGBUF_SIZE 1536 /* moderate default */
#endif

After I undefined them, the time on windows is able to sync with the
one on vxworks. Why is this??
I'm really confused on the timestamping thing used in NTP. What layer
are we actually doing the timestamp? Are we doing it on the physical
layer or application layer of the OSI stack? My coworker said if we
undefine HAVE_TIMESTAMP and USE_TIMESTAMP_CMSG, we are going to do the
timestamp on the application, but if we define them, we are actually
doing the timestamp on the physical layer, is that true??

Thanks you very much,
Kevin