[ntp:questions] in pool, my server runs for days, crashes with no log

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Tue Nov 6 04:52:40 UTC 2007

>But I've got a bigger problem.
>The normal /etc/rc.d/init.d/ntpd script is not working.
>if I run the ntpd program from a shell, it runs fine.
>(It takes a fairly long time to start and detach from the shell, maybe
>a full minute or more)

> if I start it the usual Mandriva way,
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/ntpd start
> it says it succeeds, but a minute, checking the status fails.

Which version are you running?

The log files should have a line that tells you the version when it gets
started.  Something like this (from my /var/log/syslog):

Aug  2 04:07:27 glypnod ntpd[665]: ntpd 4.2.0b-rc1 at 1.1475-o Sun Mar 19 18:29:03 UTC 2006 (1)

The Development version from
  http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Main/SoftwareDownloads

Should have the (a?) abort-with-no-logging bug fixed.