[ntp:questions] New Orphan Mode

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Tue Oct 2 16:02:26 UTC 2007

On 2007-10-02, Richard B. Gilbert <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Steve Kostecke wrote:
>
>> At least one of the nodes will need to be configured to poll an
>> adequate number of remote time servers.
>
> I thought that the whole point of Orphan Mode was for situations
> where no remote time servers were available; e.g. your home network
> is without an internet connection and you have no hardware reference
> clock!

Orphan Mode allows a group of ntpds to autonomously select a leader when
no legitimate time sources are reachable. Possible uses include the
"synchronization" of "time islands" and the provision of a "clock of
last resort" for a LAN which normally has access to legitimate time
sources.

My answer to the OP presumed that application was not a "time island".
Obviously, if this is not the case, there is not need to configure
remote time servers.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>