[ntp:questions] Onboard Local Oscillator Change Improvements

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Mon Oct 8 12:48:50 UTC 2007

elio.gi at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi to all,
> in my setup I'm using a pc (Stratum 1) that synchronizes its local
> oscillator from a PPS derived by a GPS (Stratum 0).
> We known that pc use normally quartz oscillators, that are poor
> quality oscilators.
> I'm intended to replace this oscillator with an OXCO oscilattor (an
> high stability oscillator).
>
> My question is:
> an oscillator replacement would create some improvement in my setup?
> Consider that my Stratum 1 pc generate a pps derived from its local
> time and this PPS is used from other pc (Stratum 2 pc).
>
> What do you think about?
> Has someone made some measures about this topic?

Replacing the crystal oscillator would void the warranty on your PC!
If the replacement is not properly done, the PC may never work again!

If  you feel that you MUST have an OCXO, both Meinberg and Symmetricomm
offer PCI cards with GPS synchronized OCXOs.  The Meinberg card sells
for about $1100 US!

The only advantage an OCXO would give you would be a longer "holdover
time" if the GPS fails.  If your PC is kept in a temperature controlled
environment I see little or no benefit in replacing the oscillator with
an OCXO!