[ntp:questions] Synchronizing to LOCAL(0): Startup time

Maarten Wiltink maarten at kittensandcats.net
Sat Oct 13 16:53:47 UTC 2007

"Steve Kostecke" <kostecke at ntp.org> wrote in message
news:slrnfgv9op.jq7.kostecke at stasis.kostecke.net...
> On 2007-10-12, Bert Gøtterup Petersen <BUP at bang-olufsen.dk> wrote:

>> I am trying to use NTP to synchronize embedded audio-video products
>> (running Linux).
>
> Linux and B&O ... interesting.

On a related note, I've been meaning to mention here the hard disk
recorder (PVR) we bought some time ago. It's a DP-558, manufactured
by Danish company KiSS, apparently owned by Linksys.

While the manual is skimpy with details, it appears to run an
embedded Linux and to get its time from the Pool. I subverted the
Pool (sorry guys...) by installing a customised DNS server with a
pool zone advertising my own two[0] internal NTP servers and pointing
the PVR's IP settings at it, instead of the normal internal DNS.

It also appears to only ever poll the first of the two returned IP
addresses. Shame.

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink

[0] No comments, please. The second one has the first one as its only
    reference and only comes into play when the primary is offline.