[ntp:questions] ntpdate off by one hour in older redhat server

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 30 13:33:40 UTC 2007

joe wrote:
> Hello I am trying to sync the date on my older redhat machines and it
> seems like daylight savings are not working. I tried replacing the
> localtime file with the NewYork file but no changes. This is the
> output from ntpdate

ntpd has NOTHING, repeat NOTHING, to do with daylight savings time!
Daylight savings time is a figment of your imagination.  It is a common
hallucination but still a hallucination.

NTP deals ONLY in UTC (formerly known as Greenwich, or GMT).

Local time is calculated by the operating system using the rules for
your local area.  The politicians just love to change the rules every
year or so, so be sure you have the correct rules for THIS year and the
place where you live!
<snip>