[ntp:questions] xntpd hanging

Clive George clive at xxxx-x.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Sep 10 17:28:08 UTC 2007

"Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote in message
news:46E52D8B.6020505 at comcast.net...

>>> How about telling us what changed to make it stop working?
>>

>> If I knew that, I'd have a rather better idea of what to do about it :-)
>>
>> I've not changed anything on the ntp side, nor am I aware of any other
>> changes which would be relevant.
>
> What about the changes that would NOT be relevant?  This is not magic you
> know!  Effects have causes!
>
> Do you have any sort of "change control" process that would tell you what
> changes were made between the last time you know it worked and the first
> time you noticed it was broken?

It's now working, having got a newer version from IBM (sorry, didn't go and
get the latest from ntp.org).

I think the change which was relevant was merely having more clients
connecting - hence looking for changes in the system config would have been
a red herring. Since I advertise the system as an internal timeserver for
the company, I don't control how many clients do connect to it.

cheers,
clive