[ntp:questions] ntpd doesn't set system time

Laurent Monnoye laurent.monnoye at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 12:40:49 UTC 2007

ntpd doesn't seem to set system time continuously. It only sets it when
first started, or when I restart it. I can also manually set the time using
ntpdate. However, the offset between the local server and the reference time
server keeps growing (almost 0.5 sec / hour):

# ntpq -p
jitter
 timeserver         .LOCL.           1 u   47   64  377    0.150  -389.69
38.104

ntp.conf:

server timeserver
restrict 127.0.0.1
driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift

Any idea how to force ntpd to keep local system time in sync?