[ntp:questions] Linux 11-minute mode (RTC update)

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Fri Apr 4 17:38:01 UTC 2008

>Fine! Don't touch anything, happy man, or it might well "tomber en
>marche". Real men don't want the eleven-minutes mode. It is not only
>extremely inaccurate by itself, but it also steps on the toes of those
>tools that are able to manage the RTC properly.

Would somebody please collect this info on a wiki page.

>From my view, it's dumb for the kernel to write to the RTC
since I can do that from user land.  Why add clutter to the
kernel?

On the other hand, the kernel probably wants to read the clock
early in the boot sequence so that the time is close.  I don't
want the kernel cluttered up with code to correct the raw
hardware reading (besides, the file with the info in it may not
be mounted yet), so writing out the correct time occasionally
seems like a reasonable idea.  I'd be thinking of hours or days
rather than 11 minutes, and I can do that from a cron job.