[ntp:questions] NTP does not reply to IP addresses that start with 69

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Mon Apr 7 07:49:51 UTC 2008

Danny,

Danny Mayer wrote:
> Ronan Flood wrote:
>> mayer at ntp.isc.org (Danny Mayer) wrote:
>>
>>> 4.1.0 was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.
>>
>> "The code is out there."
>>

> That doesn't matter. We only support the current current unless there's
> a paid contract to maintain some other version. Dave was concerned about
> something that he wants to ensure control of but that's in the recent
> versions.

I don't think I've read a request where this should be fixed in an older
version.

The problem in this NG seems to be that some insiders seem to assume all
users are running a very recent version of NTP, and I'm pretty sure this is
not the case.

I think most users run the version which comes with their OS or
distribution, and stuck with it unless they stumble across a bug or
limitation, in which case it's normally sufficient to point them to the
latest version.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki