[ntp:questions] frequency adjusting only

maxime louvel m.louvel at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 12:30:08 UTC 2008

Thanks,

I am actually using 4 public NTP server, which whom my node-1 synchronises
to.
Then node-1 broadcasts the time to all the other nodes in the subnet.

My goal is to achieve a synchronisation between the nodes (not with the
public NTP server) within 50 usec.
I don't care if the synchronisation to the public NTP is accurate around
half a second.
I think it's possible, because the nodes are close to each other and every
communication is using gigabit ethernet (cards + switch).

I achieve to get a small offset when nothing else than linux and ntpd is
running on the nodes
(offset arount 10 usec).

I have a program which sends data from one node to another.
The sending/reception are timestamped and the delay is then computed.

I would like the measured delay to be constrained in a 50usec wide range.

Do you think it should be possible ?

I have tried to run the test for 24h and didn't get the expected results.
The range of the measured delay is 2 milliseconds (between -1ms and +1ms)
with some spikes (ten or so for a milion measurments). The mean delay is
-0.066087 (ms) and the std dev is 0.22849
Do you think the spikes can influence ntp  ?

thanks very much

Maxime

--
Maxime Louvel