[ntp:questions] frequency adjusting only

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Wed Apr 23 12:55:47 UTC 2008

On 2008-04-23, Unruh <unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca> wrote:

> Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org> writes:
>
>>Here's an aggregated plot of the node offsets on my LAN over the
>>last 24 hours. I see +3/-5 milliseconds, not anything near 5-15
>>microseconds.

[snip: URL for plot]

> I agree those are pretty bad.

I said nothing about it being bad. In fact, it's good enough for my
needs.

> How are they hooked up? It looks like one of the hops is via a
> telephone modem!

All of the systems are in the same building on a fast ethernet LAN with
a D-Link Switch.

> See www.theory.physics/chrony/chrony.html

That hostname does not resolve for me.

I use this group of systems to test different ntpd configurations, so
other software is out of the question.

At the moment these systems are configured in a Manycast Orphan mesh
(i.e. each system has orphan mode enabled and is a Manycast client and
server). Ntp0 (green plot) also has a CHU ref-clock. Rover (red plot) is
also configured with a good number of remote time servers.

> Its my lan and ntp server, and I'll do what I want to.

Likewise.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>