[ntp:questions] Root server list

Peter Laws plaws at ou.edu
Wed Aug 13 22:02:00 UTC 2008

Scott Baker wrote:
> Peter Laws wrote:
>> Scott Baker wrote:

> So I should be updating my root.hints file periodically? I never thought
> about it, the root servers are so permanent.

They're not permanent (not so long ago, they all had different names
instead of root-servers.net) so yes, you do need to keep it up to date.

;       This file holds the information on root name servers needed to
;       initialize cache of Internet domain name servers
;       (e.g. reference this file in the "cache  .  <file>"
;       configuration file of BIND domain name servers).
;
;       This file is made available by InterNIC
;       under anonymous FTP as
;           file                /domain/named.root
;           on server           FTP.INTERNIC.NET
;       -OR-                    RS.INTERNIC.NET
;
;       last update:    Feb 04, 2008
;       related version of root zone:   2008020400
;
; formerly NS.INTERNIC.NET
;

--