[ntp:questions] bitsy.mit.edu retired?

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Fri Aug 15 16:43:43 UTC 2008

On 2008-08-15, Gushi wrote:

> On Aug 14, 7:29 pm, "Richard B. Gilbert" wrote:
>
>> Gushi wrote:
>>
>> > I've frequently used the venerable old standby "bitsy.mit.edu" as
>> > an NTP server -- it had an easy to remember name, and was more
>> > "neutral"

[snip]

>> The fact that it's not on any of the lists suggests that it's not a
>> public server!  The fact that you can't get any response to an NTP query
>> suggests that it's not running ntpd.

Or it may mean that ntpd is not configured to allow you access.

> My hope was more to hear from people who had "gotten a memo" that I
> had missed about its retirement, or possibly even hear from an MIT
> admin who might have been able to answer.  I had previously (for about
> ten years) gotten valid ntp responses from that server.

I searched http://support.ntp.org/servers (the location of the Public
Time Server Lists formerly maintained by Dr. David Mills) and did not
find any reference to bitsy on either the primary, sercondary, or
inactive server lists. Nor have I received any e-mail concerning bitsy
in my e-mail archives.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>