[ntp:questions] peers with high offset on Intel Quad Core running Windows 2003

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Wed Aug 20 07:40:43 UTC 2008

Jimmy ntp wrote:
> Hi,
>   I'm consistently seeing offsets between +- 6 ms on my Windows servers.

6ms is not a high offset.  In particular, it is rather lower than you
would expect with w32time, and better than the resolution with which
ordinary Windows applications can obtain the time from Windows.  (Also
offset is not the same as clock error, and, in the stable state, is
considerably larger than that).

> Software:
> * Windows 2003
> * ntp-4.2.0a

That's quite old.  I'm not sure that it has all the hacks to improve
performance on Windows.

>  Here is ntp.conf:
> server 192.168.10.5 burst iburst minpoll 4 maxpoll 6

These minpolls and maxpolls will compromise the ability to smooth over
offset variations.  Why are you not using the recommended ones?