[ntp:questions] Linux NTP Kernel unsync flag remains long after NTP&Kernel have PPL sync

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Wed Aug 27 06:29:20 UTC 2008

David L. Mills wrote:
> David,
>
> The bit is never set, so the system calls never show error.

That conflicts with the evidence presented by the questioner.  I think
it is true that ntpd never sets it in the kernel(although 4.2.4p4 (which
is more recent than his) does set it in the user space copy.  However
the kernel does set it, as I already noted, on startup, when the time is
set manually, and when the estimated error hits its end stop.

However, that is largely irrelevant, as one could rephrase the question
to be, earlier versions of ntpd used to set the estimated error to soem
low value when started, why is his version leaving it set at 16+ seconds?

(I suspect user error.)