[ntp:questions] Let ntp server not synchronize time from other servers

Maarten Wiltink maarten at kittensandcats.net
Thu Aug 28 11:49:33 UTC 2008

"WANG Cong" <xiyou.wangcong at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:8d3c2902-93a5-44fc-9e66-0356538955c0 at t54g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...

> [...] if there's no server lines, I _always_ got:
>
> # /usr/sbin/ntpdate -u -b 192.168.90.41
> 28 Aug 11:21:35 ntpdate[10515]: no server suitable for synchronization
> found
>
> (192.168.90.41 is my own NTP server.)

It seems that without servers, you have no synchronisation sources left.
(Which is probably correct.) So you fake one.

server 127.127.1.0
fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 14

These two lines will cause your server to believe its own, free-running,
clock and consider itself synchronised and serve time, while indicating
that the time served is of quite atrocious quality.

Is there any particular reason why you won't take the time from anyone?

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink