[ntp:questions] chu and wwv audio driver problems in debian lenny

jimmyterrence at gmail.com jimmyterrence at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 16:13:32 UTC 2008

On Dec 1, 10:38 am, Steve Kostecke <koste... at ntp.org> wrote:
> On 2008-12-01, Unruh <unruh-s... at physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
>
> > David Woolley <da... at demon.co.uk> writes:
>
> >>This will be the result of using OSS system calls on Alsa drivers.
>
> > Load the snd-oss module
>
> The OP is using Debian. All he has to do is install the "alsa-oss"
> package and his package management system handles the details.
>
> --
> Steve Kostecke <koste... at ntp.org>
> NTP Public Services Project -http://support.ntp.org/

Sorry about my little rant there in the last post.  This has been
really frustrating.

I installed alsa-oss, but for some reason it didn't load the modules.
The post above from Jon Kåre Hellan asking if I needed to load modules
was the key.  I loaded snd_pcm_oss and snd_mixer_oss and it's working.
I'm curious to know if the native oss drivers from http://www.opensound.com/
would work on this box (because they didn't on the GX110 that I had
before), but not curious enough to tear apart my working setup to try
it.  The box I'm using now is a Dell Dimension 2400, and has the same
audio hardware as the GX110.

This worked using the source package for ntp as suggested by Steve
Kostecke above.  Then I installed the following packages:

alsa-base alsa-oss alsa-utils alsa-tools alsaplayer-common alsaplayer-
text

and ran alsaconf to set up my sound card.  It didn't work until I
loaded the snd_pcm_oss and snd_mixer_oss modules as mentioned above.

For reference, here's my ntp.audio0 file:

time:~# cat /etc/ntp.audio0
idev /dev/audio
cdev /dev/mixer
source line
agc line
monitor line

And my ntp.conf file:

time:~# cat /etc/ntp.conf
# /etc/ntp.conf, configuration for ntpd; see ntp.conf(5) for help

driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift

# Enable this if you want statistics to be logged.
#statsdir /var/log/ntpstats/

statistics loopstats peerstats clockstats
filegen loopstats file loopstats type day enable
filegen peerstats file peerstats type day enable
filegen clockstats file clockstats type day enable

# You do need to talk to an NTP server or two (or three).
#server ntp.your-provider.example

# pool.ntp.org maps to about 1000 low-stratum NTP servers.  Your
server will
# pick a different set every time it starts up.  Please consider
joining the
# pool: <http://www.pool.ntp.org/join.html>
#server 0.debian.pool.ntp.org iburst dynamic
#server 1.debian.pool.ntp.org iburst dynamic
#server 2.debian.pool.ntp.org iburst dynamic
#server 3.debian.pool.ntp.org iburst dynamic
#server 127.127.7.0
#fudge 127.127.7.0 flag2 1 flag3 1 flag4 1 time1 0.0005366 stratum 1
server 127.127.36.0 version 4
fudge 127.127.36.0 time1 0.007532 flag2 1 flag3 1 stratum 1

# Access control configuration; see /usr/share/doc/ntp-doc/html/
accopt.html for
# details.  The web page <http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/
AccessRestrictions>
# might also be helpful.
#
# Note that "restrict" applies to both servers and clients, so a
configuration
# that might be intended to block requests from certain clients could
also end
# up blocking replies from your own upstream servers.

# By default, exchange time with everybody, but don't allow
configuration.
restrict -4 default kod notrap nomodify nopeer noquery
restrict -6 default kod notrap nomodify nopeer noquery

# Local users may interrogate the ntp server more closely.
restrict 127.0.0.1
restrict ::1

# Clients from this (example!) subnet have unlimited access, but only
if
# cryptographically authenticated.
#restrict 192.168.123.0 mask 255.255.255.0 notrust

# If you want to provide time to your local subnet, change the next
line.
# (Again, the address is an example only.)
#broadcast 192.168.123.255

# If you want to listen to time broadcasts on your local subnet, de-
comment the
# next lines.  Please do this only if you trust everybody on the
network!
#disable auth
#broadcastclient

Some extra info:

time:~# ntpq -c cl
assID=0 status=0101 clk_noreply, last_clk_noreply,
device="WWV/H Audio Demodulator/Decoder",
timecode=" 0 2008 336 16:09:00 LS -6 0 0 WV15 76 1 171.4 1024",
poll=74,
noreply=74, badformat=0, baddata=0, fudgetime1=7.532, stratum=1,
refid=WV15, flags=6

time:~# ntpdc -c loopinfo
offset:               -0.009829 s
frequency:            -103.451 ppm
poll adjust:          -30
watchdog timer:       45 s

time:~# ntpdc -c kerninfo
pll offset:           -0.009378 s
pll frequency:        -103.451 ppm
maximum error:        0.036578 s
estimated error:      0.000167 s
status:               0001  pll
pll time constant:    6
precision:            1e-06 s
frequency tolerance:  512 ppm

time:~# ntpq -p
     remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay
offset  jitter
*WWV_AUDIO(0)    .WV15.           1 l   52   64  376    0.000
-9.829   0.325

Thank you all for your help.

Court