[ntp:questions] Rejecting Good Peers

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Wed Dec 3 14:46:35 UTC 2008

Calvin Webster said:

>On Wed, 2008-12-03 at 02:25 +0000, Steve Kostecke wrote:
>> On 2008-12-03, cwebster at ec.rr.com <cwebster at ec.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>> > That still doesn't make sense to me. A peer is objecting to his peer
>> > using a fellow peer as a candidate? Why then does this behavior only
>> > present itself on the version 4.2.4 peer and none of the others?
>>
>> The difference between 4.2.4 and 4.2.0 is greater than one might be led
>> to believe.
>
>So this is *not* a normal function of peer relationships but an anomaly
>caused by mixing different versions of NTP, right?

No.

v4.2.4 is properly detecting (and rejecting) a peer loop. v4.2.0 is not.

The NTP version numbers are not the major.minor.point that most people
expect. Rather they are protocol_version.major.minor with an added 'pN'
for point releases.

So the difference between 4.2.4 and 4.2.0 is more than a couple of point
releases. It is, in fact, 2 entire development cycles.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>
NTP Public Services Project http://support.ntp.org/