[ntp:questions] basic questions about the leapsecond

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-part.nor-this-bit.co.uk
Tue Dec 16 08:16:26 UTC 2008

Unruh wrote:
[]
> From reading the ntp docs, it seems that if you download the
> leapseconds file, call it /etc/ntp.leapseconds  and restart ntpd,
> then ntpd will read that file, and set the leapsecond flag on your
> system in the last month or day.
[]

This seems a lot simpler than the method described in the docs:

  http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/ConfiguringNTP#Section_6.13.

which talk about "crypto directory" and "autokey", and seem (to me) a lot
more complicated than just copying a renamed file and restarting ntpd!

There is also the remark: "If the top level NTP server is unable to obtain
the leap second file automatically...".  Does this mean that NTP will try
and fetch this file by itself?

Some clarification would be appreciated.

David