[ntp:questions] Performance?

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Tue Dec 23 01:41:44 UTC 2008

>I'm using Garmin LVC's.  I used the windows config program on one of
>them and changed the baud rate to 9600, turned the PPS on, and enabled
>NEMA 3.x.

The NMEA driver in ntpd is not expecting you to change the baud rate.
There may be some way to configure it to use other baud rates, but I
don't remember anything like that.

>The other one I configured using cu.  I turned off all of the output
>sentences except for GPGG and turned the PPS on.

The default setup for the NMEA driver is to use the GPRMC sentence.
It can use a few others.  Check the documentation or fix it to send
(only) the GPRMC sentence.