[ntp:questions] Configuration files missing after make all

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Tue Feb 5 23:03:24 UTC 2008

Steve Kostecke wrote:
> On 2008-02-05, Richard B. Gilbert <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote:

<special trim just for Steve>

> I believe that the BSD world will disagree with you here.

If you design your product for JUST the BSD world, that's fine.

There is more to the world than BSD.  For Solaris, the Unix that I use,
/usr/local is NOT best practice.

Now BSD and System V have, over the years, exchanged genetic material in
ways that would make a stock breeder blush.  I think it would be hard to
find a system that was PURE BSD or PURE System V.

I think it is clearly better to put applications in a directory tree by
themselves, one that is NOT part of the O/S.

YMMV