[ntp:questions] GCC-4.2.3 Compiler Error in NTP-4.2.2p4

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Sat Feb 9 20:44:25 UTC 2008

Tom,

>>> In article <slrnfqrnc2.1gue.lausts at laus.org>, Thomas Laus <lausts at acm.org> writes:

Thomas> I tried to upgrade my ntp version running on a FreeBSD 6.3-STABLE
Thomas> system this morning and received the following error:

Thomas> The compiler is GCC-4.2.3_20080130 and the ntp version that I was
Thomas> attempting to upgrade to was ntp-4.2.2p4.  This version was able to
Thomas> be upgraded using the default GCC compiler on another system.  It
Thomas> would appear that GCC-4.2.3 does not like something in the
Thomas> 'ntp_timer.c' program.  Is there something that I need to do for the
Thomas> upgrade to complete successfully?

First, somebody gets to decide if this is really a bug in the NTP code or if
it is a bug in GCC.

If it's a bug in NTP (or perhaps even if it's not), somebody then gets to
open a report at http://bugs.ntp.org.  The odds are that if a patch to fix
the problem is attached to that report it will be applied lots sooner.

--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>
http://ntpforum.isc.org  - be a member!