[ntp:questions] Starting ISC NTP -4.2.4

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Wed Feb 13 08:11:19 UTC 2008

>Iam trying to install ISC NTP-4.2.4 on RHEL 4. But Im not able to start
>the services.

>I firstly removed the default rpm and then compiled the latest version,
>configured the ntp.conf file, but Iam not able to start the service. I
>give the command /etc/init.d/ntpd start. # prompt comes back.

>Can anyone guide me in figuring out and solving the problem

Did you do a make install?

Do you even have a file in /etc/init.d/ntpd?  I expect the old
one came from the rpm and it probably didn't get replaced by
anything from the ntp source package - those things are too
system specific.

Did it give any error messages?  They usually end up in
/var/log/messages unless/until you switch them to another
log file with a logfile command in your config file.

/etc/init.d/ntpd is just a shell script.  You should be able to
debug it.  (It might take a while if you haven't worked in that
area before.)  Use "echo xxx" as the printf equivalent.  "echo $foo"
will expand foo from the environment variables.