[ntp:questions] Time sync between Win2k3 and Suse Linux

Frett bt_hirosaito at gmx.de
Tue Feb 19 11:56:14 UTC 2008

Hello NG,

i got a quite annoying problem on some of our sites.
Our system consists of a Windows Machine (Win2k3 Server) and a Suse
Linux Machine (Usually SLES8 oder 9).

We got NTP running on the Linux machine pointing on the Windows to get
the time from there.
But on most of the sites the driftfile shows nothing and the ntpq -p
also show only a minimum delay:

Suse1:~ # ntpq -p
     remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay
offset  jitter
 Winmachine .LOCL.           1 u   53   64    3    0.202   10.971
9.382

Suse1:~ # cat /var/lib/ntp/drift/ntp.drift
0.000

After doing a rcxntpd -restart everything is fine again. But it
proceeds differing after that.

The NTP config is the following:
##
## Undisciplined Local Clock. This is a fake driver intended for
backup
## and when no outside source of synchronized time is available.
##
server 10.33.200.67 (This is the IP of the Windows)
fudge  127.127.1.0 stratum 10   # LCL is unsynchronized

##
## Outside source of synchronized time
##
## server xx.xx.xx.xx           # IP address of server

##
## Miscellaneous stuff
##

driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift/ntp.drift # path for drift file

logfile   /var/log/ntp          # alternate log file
##

Even when we got a clustersystem it´s all the same. The 2 SuseMachines
are running in the same time and the 2 Windowsmachines running in the
same time, but Win and Suse differ.

Easiest solution would be maybe to create a cronjob and restart the
ntp all day, but would appreciate any help if i got any wrong
configuration or i missed something.

Many thanks in advance
Eric