[ntp:questions] chrony and ntp comparison-- ADSL hookup

Unruh unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca
Tue Feb 19 16:15:57 UTC 2008

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> writes:

>Bill Unruh wrote:
>> The round trip between server and client is
>> about 16ms, which is about 100 times longer than the round trip times
>> used
>> earlier in the previous tests I posted.
>[]
>> Now, chrony is much more aggresive in decreasing the poll interval
>> when the statistics gets bad, so the mean poll time for chrony was
>> 36sec while for
>> ntp it was 127 sec (in both cases minpoll was 4 and maxpoll was 7).

>I beilieve that this is still unrepresentative:

Unrepresentitive of what? Of your particular situation? Of course. Run your
own tests if you really think that your situation is so different that ntp
would run differently on your system than mine. I am giving you data points
you may do with them what you want.

>- delay values I see are more like 30msec, not 16msec

I just jumped by a factor of 100 in delay and showed it makes no difference
( or rather that chrony does even better in a case where delay noise
dominates the noise sources) and you worry about factors of 2. Next you
will say that I live in Canada which is not representative. You may
discount my data all you want, I really do not care.

>- the default for min and max poll are 6 and 10 (IIRC), and not 4 and 7

And so? Exactly how is this supposed to make a difference?