[ntp:questions] very slow convergence of ntp to correct time.

Eric nospam-01 at jensenresearch.com
Tue Jan 29 00:04:16 UTC 2008

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 17:44:08 -0500, "Richard B. Gilbert"
<rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote for the entire planet to see:

>I thought that "burst" sent eight packets two seconds apart at each poll
>interval.  It's not apprropriate for most situations.  It was designed
>for systems making infrequent dialup connections like twice or three
>times daily.

My confusion.  IBURST for the Initial loading of the buffer.  BURST for the
very, very infrequent connection to reload the entire buffer each time.

But what about the idea that IBURST is nice for fast startup, BURST is
helpful if there hasn't been a poll for a very, very long time, and now the
new idea for an explorer packet (only one extra) that would be nice to
smooth the network path when the polling interval goes over a couple of
minutes.

It turns each of them into virtually the same case, classified by when the
polling interval currently in effect.

- Eric