[ntp:questions] NTPD concurrent clients limit

Phil phil at xxxxxxxxx.xxx
Thu Jul 31 19:10:00 UTC 2008

The replies around here sure separate the professionals like David Mills and
Steve Kostecke from the seemingly arrogant ones like Unruh.

Considering my use of timing is rather critical to my applications I don't
even depend on the "pool" servers for time. I use my own Symmetricom gps
disciplined ntp servers, my own Datum/Symmetricom gps disciplined rubidium
standards for 1PPP and 10 MHz all using HP/Symmetricom gps antennas and gps
splitters. Sorry, I only have some ten GPS based time receivers.

Unruh said "If it is in hardware only it may be some hack
written by someone whose knowledge of ntp was gained in kindergarten class."
I guess that depends on what you think of the Symmetricom designers,
engineers, and programmers. I also run the latest release of ntpd software
on several HP/Compaq Servers.

I'm certain I'm a small fish time user, but I feel with this investment I
have graduated a little past the sundial and perhaps even a little above the
average time user.

Phil Harwood

news:pUlkk.2876$%b7.390 at edtnps82...