[ntp:questions] NTP and Windows Vista

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Mon Jun 2 11:34:47 UTC 2008

David J Taylor wrote:
> Danny,
>
> There is certainly need to be able to record the version of the operating
> system which is use, whether that be in a drop-down list or elsewhere I
> don't mind.  Windows 3.X and the NT/2000/XP/Vista set, for example, are
> quite different.

Window 3.x, 95, 98, etc. haven't been supported by NTP for quite a few
years so any bug report about them would be invalid anyway. The others,
based on NT are what we support but are merely different versions of the
Windows NT operating system.

> As many of the security settings have changed on Windows
> Vista, and these could affect how NTP works, I personally feel that it is
> appropriate to have Windows Vista set out separately from other versions.

Security settings are not relevant to NTP. Those are things you need to
deal with separately. Those are operator errors and not NTP errors.

> I don't see a field for OS sub-version on the bug report form right now.
> It could be helpful if there were another field for OS sub-version which
> would allow the user to enter "Home", "Business" etc. (for Vista) should
> they wish, although in this particular case the sub-version seems unlikely
> to affect how NTP works.

That doesn't matter either since they are just subsets of the operating
system. The pieces that NTP uses are basically the IP stack, the IO to
disk and network and a few other odds and ends. You can enter that
information if it's really relevant but I'd be astonished if it was
something the NTP needed to deal with.

> Doesn't Linux need something similar for version numbers, in view of how
> kernel changes may interact with NTP?

Yes and those version numbers can be important in the bug report but
it's still Linux.

Danny