[ntp:questions] Can we write NTP server using c#

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Wed Jun 4 06:32:45 UTC 2008

Harlan Stenn wrote:

> An SNTP client asks some number of servers "Hey, what time is it?" and takes
> the first valid response, sets the clock, and exits.

That definition excludes OpenNTP and early versions of W32Time, neither
of which exits after setting the time and both of which are only SNTP.

> An NTP implementation sticks around and pays attention to all of the ongoing
> answers it gets, being careful with those answers to discern the "right
> time" on an ongoing basis.

A crude definition is an NTP client is mandated to implement most of one
of the NTP RFCs (parts of version 3 are non-normative), in respect of
issuing client requests and responding to server responses.  An SNTP
client need implement only a small part of an SNTP RFC.